Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Litany of Confession and Trust in Troubling Times

Leader: Father God, our world is changing. The assumptions we have made and the choices we have made are revealed as shifting sand on which to build our lives. We have lost our jobs. We have lost our savings. We have lost our retirements accounts. We have lost our health insurance. We have lost our homes. We have lost our sense of security. We have lost our way.

Congregation: Father God, have mercy on us.

Leader: Lord Jesus Christ, we confess that we are afraid. The things in which we have put our trust cannot be counted upon. The things in which we have invested have failed us. We look into an uncertain future and we cannot see beyond today.

Congregation: Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on us.

Leader: Holy Spirit, we find ourselves in a rapidly changing landscape. The rules are not what we thought. We see obstacles everywhere. How can we sing King Alpha’s song in this strange land? We sometimes wonder where you are, you who are Creator and Sustainer of the universe. Do you still hear our cry? Do you still offer comfort? Do our concerns concern you?

Congregation: Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.

Leader: And yet, we know, by your sacrifice on our behalf, that you know our sufferings. We know you have walked in our place. We know that nothing we fear escapes your notice. We have known your mercy, your provision, your comfort in other seasons. We have walked through valleys of death, and your rod and your staff have been a comfort to us. We know your grace.

Congregation: Oh, Lord, we believe. Help our unbelief!

Leader: You are in the business of wresting good out of evil. You did not remain on the cross; you conquered death and brought us eternal life. You did not leave us in the dust at the foot of the cross; you raised us up and called us your friends. You have not left us obstacles; you have directed our paths.

Congregation: Oh, Lord, we believe. Help our unbelief!

Leader: Help us to see that our priorities are not always your priorities. Use the circumstances of our lives to direct us in new ways. Allow us the joy of radical dependence on you. God promised Abraham a multitude of descendants but Abraham waited until his old age to see even the beginning of the fulfillment of that promise. God caused Esther to become the pagan king’s wife so that she could be the rescuer of her people. The Holy Spirit prevented Paul and Silas from preaching in Asia, and instead directed them to Lydia in Macedonia, and a new community of believers was formed.

Congregation: God’s ways are not our ways.

Leader: But you are trustworthy, working in us and through us for your kingdom purposes.

Congregations: Father, align our hearts with yours. Jesus, enable us to trust you. Holy Spirit, comfort us.

Leader: “The Lord is my shepherd.”

Congregation: “I shall not be in want.”

Leader: “He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside quiet waters.”

Congregation: “He restores my soul.”

Leader: “He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake! Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death . . .”

Congregation: “I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

Leader: “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil.”

Congregation: “My cup overflows.”

Leader: “Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Congregation: “Amen.”

Congregational Song: Blessed Be Your Name (Matt Redman)

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me

When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

No comments:

Post a Comment